NEXT EVENT

NEXT EVENT: 2021 Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race Double Handed Division

Monday, January 18, 2016

Catch up Part 2: From outback to ocean

I joined the RAAF in 1991 so sailing was on my 14ft Javelin Skiff and some Swarbrick yachts. In '93, we posted from Williamtown NSW to Tindal in the NT......about a 12 day drive and 350kms from the Arafura Sea with 7m tides! I sold the skiff to a teacher, and shipped her by barge to the remote island off Arnhem Land where he was stationed. My sailing was temporarily on-hold so was replaced by Barra fishing in a series of 'Tinnies' ranging from a 12ft 18hp punt to 'Double Plugger', my 4.6m 90hp Stessl Barra Boss ....ah that was a great boat...and quick.

'Just Jo' a  1976 Custom 30
In 2004 we posted to Townsville Far North QLD where I worked in Defence Recruiting. 
Whilst waiting for permanent digs we were holed up in the Quest apartments, strategically placed across from the TCYC. As usual I wandered the docks dreaming and this was when 'Just Jo' (Custom 30) first caught my eye. 

I left a note for her owner offering to crew. John took me sailing several times and I finally made an offer to buy.......complete with berth. Deals were done, boats and cash exchanged and I was now a keelboat owner and John (80) had a 90hp fishing boat he figured would sell easier than a yacht so he could by a motorbike and cruise the east coast! A lot of hours went into getting 'Jo' seaworthy for the long passage south that I knew would happen in 3-4 years time. Not only does she have beautiful lines, he is strongly built and a joy to sail. 

No comments: