NEXT EVENT

NEXT EVENT: 2021 Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race Double Handed Division

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Time for some Sigma 36 upgrades

The old 'Rogue' is 33 years young and has had her fair share of new bling since 2009, however she deserves a bit more. So taking advantage of my location and the vast array of boat bits available in the good ole USA, it was time for some upgrades. SO there I was checking out marinas, chandlers and the like and I found this nice Class 40 resting on the hard after the Transat Race at the back of a storage yard in Annapolis...sigh.... she was like a thoroughbred out to pasture.......then I slapped myself back into reality (one day...one day) and continued on my path.


CC-Sprit CS-42 Carbon Bowsprit
So, items to date include; stainless Garhauer Marine footblocks
Garhauer Footblocks.....nice
that are a direct replacements for Lewmar genoa footblocks (so they tell me); a couple of Garhauer Snatch blocks with Quick Release pins so sheets can be quickly installed; a C-SPRIT CS-42 carbon A-Frame bowsprit (eventually a Code 0 and Selden CX Furler);
Snatch Block with Quick Release Pins











Lewmar ST30 spinnaker winches;
 two Lewmar Offshore hatches so that will complete my swap out of all original deck hatches with CAT 1 compliant hatches that can be opened from the outside; and a Ronstan heavy duty 2-Speed Mainsheet System (gotta love eBay!)





Finally invested in a bullet proof Fiorentino Shark Storm Drogue System that I saw for the first time at the 2015 Annapolis Boat Show. Certainly is leagues apart in design (and cost!) from my Aussie designed Burke Sea Brake - I doubted that one could ever hold up in sustained heavy weather - no doubts now!

Shark Drogue - a 10lb mushroom weight attaches to the tail.
Complete system with a 300ft bridle.
An investment in safety is a wise investment.
Check out that hardware!

C-Sprit CS-42 example installed using custom mounts. Comes standard with deck mount or you can mount to the topsides depending on the hull design, anchor configuration and deck clutter. Simply detaches using two Aviation Quick Release Pins.  

No comments: