NEXT EVENT

NEXT EVENT: 2021 Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race Double Handed Division

Saturday, December 1, 2018

The Race - Part 3

Since the race was forcast to be in light and variable breeze, I opted to not fill my water tanks with 200 litres but kept it to approx 60 litres plus the mandatory emergency jerries. Same strategy for the fuel, I had about 50 litres for battery charging and port manoeuvres with 1 x 10 L jerry as emergency.

By 05 Apr we had slowly clawed our way north and a little west. Unlike the larger boats who were in a completely different weather pattern by day 5 and they were making more west. Much better day today but still falling short of the old Rogues performance window.
136NM daily run.....now we are getting there.

By 06 Apr we were again clawing away north and making reasonable progress. Sailed close to Wonganella Bank where a summit pops up to 95metres from 2500+m. Seas a tad confused around that baby as the swell wrapped around about sides causing cross seas. Bust the assy tack block through side loading so replaced and relocated the lead. Over the past few days Am Meer and I have had some match racing visible on AIS. I lost Geoff after my last wind hole as I was ahead of him at the time and he altered course and sailed around me still on the breeze.
145NM daily run......still not on the money.


By 07 Apr we are heading south of west on 263 deg compass. in another day of 6-14 knots of SE breeze.
125NM daily run.....slow going.

TBC



No comments: