NEXT EVENT

NEXT EVENT: 2021 Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race Double Handed Division

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Improvements on their way

The saga of my Force 10 cooker took a dive to the point where I cancelled my order. I originally ordered the Sub-Compact model in Jun and as of last week I was told further shipping delays from Canada of between 6-16 weeks may be possible......they were not sure!!
 
So back to Whitworths to buy a SMEV 7000 3 burner hob, grill, and oven with rotisserie! Problem is I need to butcher the galley to make her fit. So this just brings forward the galley top makeover. Maybe I will wait until Stephanie, my own little wood butcher...comes home on Uni break from her Furniture Design course! The cooker has flame failure devices to all burners so once I install to AS/NZS 5601.2:2010 I will be comfortable the gas system will be safe.......unlike the current 30 year old installation.
 
The Genoa cars are shot. The original sheaves I repaired using Plasticine moulds and West System Epoxy. Worked a treat however I had scheduled to replace them at some stage. As we race I also needed a way to adjust the cars remotely to change sail shape with the sheet loaded. After many hours contemplating all the systems available, readers feedback and of course price vs quality, I decided on the oversized and bullet proof Garhauer EZ-G3 Easy Glide Adjustable Genoa Car System. They are beautifully crafted and very strong.  Garhauer are the only ones to manufacture a T-Track Genoa Car and heavy duty sheave that runs on ball bearings; the competition use plastic slides. These bearings make car adjustment under load possible in up to 25 knots. They are adjusted simply by pulling or releasing the spectra line from the trimmers position using a cam cleat.
 
Spinnaker tweakers are also ready to be installed. These haul down the spinnaker sheet amidships as the wind increases, helping to stabilise the sail thereby assisting the helm to sail the boat 'under the mast'. The final things to be done before the NCYC Forgacs Regatta is winch servicings, hull scrub and weight reduction....again!

No comments: