NEXT EVENT

NEXT EVENT: 2021 Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race Double Handed Division

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Solo Trans Tasman 2014

The Solo Trans Tasman Yacht Race http://www.solo-tasman.co.nz/history/ is a 1380 NM race across the Tasman Sea and is held every four years between New Plymouth on New Zealands North Island and Mooloolaba in Queensland Australia. The Catergory 1 race foundations were laid in the late 1960's and were based upon the famous Observer Singlehanded Trans-Atlantic Race (OSTAR) format. The quickest race was just over 6 days in a racing trimaran and the slowest a very long 35 days in a 5.8 m ferro yacht. My goal is to complete the race in under 10 days.
I submitted my entry as an expression of interest late last year after observing how quickly the 2010 race positions filled. Yesterday I received an email from the organisers and they advised my entry has been received along with 14 other skippers - the number of yachts is limited to around 15 yachts, as Port Taranaki is very small. I happily confirmed I am still a starter and will be putting down my race entry deposit to secure my provisional entry position. Exciting times!

No comments: