NEXT EVENT

NEXT EVENT: 2021 Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race Double Handed Division

Monday, January 18, 2016

Catch up Part 3: 'Just Jo' to 'Rogue Wave'

'Rogue Wave' survey inspection Malaysia 2009
In 2007 I headed South to NSW on posting. Steph, our youngest daughter sailed from Townsville to Airlie Beach with me and did a great job in not ideal conditions. We had a few breakages and some wild weather. The rest of the voyage was solo and I loved every minute......ok some not so much when five LOWs compounded and formed a Tropical Low about 100nm east of my position. Christmas was spent holed up in Port Clinton for 5 days until it blew itself out. There is nothing at Port Clinton.....it is isolated. Despite this I loved the challenge and the solo bug had bitten.

I started looking for a bigger cruiser racer (with headroom!) and after a couple of years of searching I found 'Rogue Wave' in 2009. I headed off to Penang Malaysia and bought 'Rogue Wave' a 1983 David Thomas Sigma 36 with 3/4 fractional rig form the UK owners. In 2010 I returned to Malaysia and spent a month refitting her on Rebak Island near Langkawi before sailing solo back to Australia. I arrived in Port Stephens nearly four months later and again, loved every minute.

No comments: