NEXT EVENT

NEXT EVENT: 2021 Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race Double Handed Division

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Wind.....what wind

So much for Saturdays forecast 30 knots.....blew about 20-25 tops, but it was a miserable sort of day. Can't for the life of me remember when I last spent a FULL day at home! Made a change to relax and read.......ok, it was about sailing! At least I managed to get some work done on RW today.....helped along with some cold ale. I have finished installing the Solent Stay deck fitting and some more non-slip tape. All I need now is the removable turnbuckle (read expensive) and then its back down to Doyles Sails for a #4 battened Heavy Weather Jib to maximise my rating when I finally get RW measured and weighed for IRC.

The Solent Stay is used when the wind strength increases and a furled genoa can no longer hold shape without the possibility of damage. RW has a 135% Genoa, equivalent to a #2 headsail. The Solent Stay  connects to the strengthened deck fitting about a metre behind the forestay and is easily tensioned on its turnbuckle prior to hoisting the Heavy Weather Jib or Storm Jib. I will also be installing separate sheeting tracks to ensure the sheet lead is spot on.




No comments: